We experience power outages in the Nehalem Bay area every year — sometimes short, sometimes lasting for several days during cold snaps. Loss of power can occur due to rolling blackouts, extreme weather conditions, or can accompany other disasters such as earthquakes.

As always, the best way to manage a power outage is to plan ahead:

If there is no power in your neighborhood:

  • Turn off and unplug appliances and computers. Leave one light on to indicate when power has been restored.
  • To conserve existing heat within the home, concentrate your activities in one or two adjacent rooms. Keep these area isolated by closing doors.
  • Avoid using candles, using a gas or propane stove for heating, or operating generators indoors (including the garage). This could cause carbon monoxide (a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas) poisoning.
  • If you use kerosene or propane space heaters, be sure to provide for lots of space around them and fresh air ventilation.
  • If a traffic signal is not working, treat it as a stop sign.
  • Food in refrigerators and freezers may be safe to eat for up to 24 hours. Don’t open refrigerators or freezers any more than needed. When power is restored, you may need to completely defrost the freezer and throw away any items that may be thawed too long.

Learn More

For more information, please visit Tillamook People’s Utility District, ready.gov, and American Red Cross, or download When the Power Goes Out.